Skip to main content

The Final Countdown

Though the night is still young, we have begun the New Year's celebration. This morning, we had a delicious breakfast of eggs and little cheese smokies left over from Christmas then not longer after prepared to see the UConn woman play in Hartford.

The game against Army wasn't as bad as the blowout that was the UConn men's game we went to recently against Moorehead State at Storrs, my first time up there. Both games had the band playing "The Final Countdown" by Europe. I am not kidding. That has to be one of the worst songs ever and VH-1 agrees with me. For the game today, my mother almost fixed me up with a lesbian...

I think that was the first time I've been back to the CC since I worked there. I saw many people I knew still working there but only remembered the names of a handful which probably shows you how much I loved that job... It was kind of weird directing my father to different places.

Tonight, we tried out the new Texas Roadhouse restaurant. Surprisingly, decent portions were available and even the salad was delicious. I don't recommend it if you are a vegan or allergic to peanuts as they give you a metal pail of them. I also don't recommend it if you hate loud country music. It was quite entertaining.

Before I prepare to eat nachos and wait for the ball to drop, I wanted to tell you about the new CD I bought with a gift certificate: Somebody's Miracle from Liz Phair. She had said in an interview that she used Stevie Wonder's music as inspiration and you can really hear that in the music if not the lyrics. This is one of the few albums I've bought in awhile that is great background music to read the newspaper by which I suppose is neither here nor there but I was impressed. You know how I said Sheryl Crow's albums aren't as good when she's happy? Who could have guessed Liz Phair could put out a good "happy album?" Again, I'm impressed.

Comments

JRRyan said…
hahaha Yeah my bro is good friends with one of the top band kids and he suggested they play it and they did! I heart "The Final Countdown" but I'm not gonna fight you over it bc you're Karen's friend. Otherwise...
Likestrek said…
That's perfectly ok to argue with me. It keeps things interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c...

Random Comments Into My Life

We did yardwork yesterday. I picked up a lot of sticks. Home Depot sucks on a Friday morning. My father and I went to get a new gascan for the mower and there was only one employee around to help us...and she didn't know anything about how these new fangled gas cans work... So due to a bank error when I reset my bank account so I could accurately keep track again, I had like a hundred dollars less in my account than I thought so my last bill payment put me in the hole. This would've been all right and easily fixed if I had been paid for the last week of my mailroom job but, oddly, I still have not been even though it's been weeks. I don't know if I can accurately convey how infuriated this makes me. If it doesn't happen soon, heads will roll! Also yesterday I re-watched the Enterprise episode "Regeneration"; this time with audio commentary from the writers. They made some valid points I hadn't considered on the issue of if this episode screws with...

Rant and Update

First off, I must ask: Where the bloody hell is my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows ? I ordered the thing five days ago! I'm going to start reading spoilers soon! I really want to read this book! Anyway, so I'm still volunteering at the library. We're in the middle of an inventory now. I've also looked in the catalog, one, to see if we had certain new books already and, two, if we did, to see which branch. This week, I've been assigning call numbers to new books. I haven't done that at all since school and that was Library of Congress (LC) classification anyway while here they use Dewey and Cutter numbers. Tomorrow, I won't be going in as the librarian is out today and tomorrow and I did all the work she left for me already.