Skip to main content

SPECTRE Of A Blog Post

Looking back at old review posts, I at one time apparently considered Casino Royale "the best Bond movie ever" because it didn't focus on gadgets. I even commented it wasn't slow moving.  Interestingly, all I really said about the next film, Quantum of Solace, was that I loved how they let M, played at the time by Judy Dench, actually do something. I didn't actually do an official review of Skyfall but that surpassed Casino Royale  as the best Bond film ever.  Casino was a needed reset after Die Another Day (Has any "final" Bond film ever been the actor's best? Diamonds Are Forever isn't my favorite Connery, View to a Kill isn't in my top 2 my favorite Moore, etc...) but Skyfall  made me realize "Lactose Intolerant Bond" just doesn't work long term.  You need a mix. The Serious And The Cheese. It also made me realize that letting M, Q and Moneypenny actually leave the damn office is awesome! In SPECTRE, M, and to a certain extent Moneypenny and Q, got even more to do. Of course, M and Q are no longer played by octogenarians... (Seeing Ralph Fiennes here and Bond's distant relative Man From UNCLE makes me want another albeit slightly more serious Avengers movie...)  

Those who know me know how continuity obsessed I am. The new SPECTRE forced a conflict in me in this area.  Connecting every villain Bond encountered in "The Craig Years" was cool but felt forced. In the first two movies, there was a lawsuit going on that prevented the return of the organization known as SPECTRE to the films so Quantum was created to fill the void. The lawsuit was settled.  I loved the use of Mr. White to advance the plot, however...

I'm curious what they'll do for the 25th film.  The plot of this felt like an "milestone" movie. The reference to CIA agent Felix Leiter and the other Easter eggs were better than in Die Another Day.) It's like voting at 17 or having your first alcoholic drink at 20... (Not that I know anything about that...)          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c...

Random Comments Into My Life

We did yardwork yesterday. I picked up a lot of sticks. Home Depot sucks on a Friday morning. My father and I went to get a new gascan for the mower and there was only one employee around to help us...and she didn't know anything about how these new fangled gas cans work... So due to a bank error when I reset my bank account so I could accurately keep track again, I had like a hundred dollars less in my account than I thought so my last bill payment put me in the hole. This would've been all right and easily fixed if I had been paid for the last week of my mailroom job but, oddly, I still have not been even though it's been weeks. I don't know if I can accurately convey how infuriated this makes me. If it doesn't happen soon, heads will roll! Also yesterday I re-watched the Enterprise episode "Regeneration"; this time with audio commentary from the writers. They made some valid points I hadn't considered on the issue of if this episode screws with...

Rant and Update

First off, I must ask: Where the bloody hell is my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows ? I ordered the thing five days ago! I'm going to start reading spoilers soon! I really want to read this book! Anyway, so I'm still volunteering at the library. We're in the middle of an inventory now. I've also looked in the catalog, one, to see if we had certain new books already and, two, if we did, to see which branch. This week, I've been assigning call numbers to new books. I haven't done that at all since school and that was Library of Congress (LC) classification anyway while here they use Dewey and Cutter numbers. Tomorrow, I won't be going in as the librarian is out today and tomorrow and I did all the work she left for me already.