Skip to main content

Good Morning Angels

Watched Elizabeth Banks'  Charlie's Angels  last night and, while not the  Skyfall of the franchise I was hoping for, there was good mix of action, seriousness and humor. The action sequences were on par with the James Bond and Mission: Impossible franchises.  (Like Tom Cruise, newcomer Ella Balinska did her own stunts...). I read that Drew Barrymore didn't want her Angels having guns despite the originals carrying them as former cops. (Hell, Julie the Model carried one even before she became a licensed PI...)

What I didn't expect was Kristen Stewart would fill more of a comic relief role. Instead of the dark and broody persona I've come to expect from watching her as Joan Jett in  The Runaways and in movies such as Camp X-Ray, was replaced by an Ellen DeGeneres impression that gives Kate McKinnon a run for her money. (Whether it was intentional or not, I'm not kidding...) I realized this was done because Balinska's performance was seemingly inspired by Michael Dorn as Worf, which I loved, so producers did the right thing for diversity's sake.

What I also didn't expect was this movie confirms the TV show and the Barrymore films are all the same universe with one caveat: Patrick Stewart was John Bosley the past 43 years and David Doyle and Bill Murray do not exist. Oh, what could have been....

Major Spoilers from here on out!

At one point in the film you are led to believe Elizabeth Bank's (Codename) Bosley is a mole which, given she wrote and directed the film, would have been a bold choice. Turns out it was John Bosley the entire time. Yes, they pulled the controversial page from the first Mission: Impossible and made a classic character the villain but here's the difference: To me, Bosley was an just an annoying sidekick and not as beloved a character as Jim Phelps. Point 2: It was Patrick Frickin' Stewart! Neither Doyle or Murray could have pulled it off as well.

Point 3 was his motivation. What the "Council of Bosley" (my term, not theirs) know but the Angels apparently don't, is that Charlie is dead. John was under the impression he'd become the new "Charlie" and it didn't happen so he decided to start his own organization. Instead, the baton was passed to the longest serving Angel, Kelly Garret (played by my "birthday twin" Jaclyn Smith) using a voice modulator.

Trivia to close:
When the late Farrah Fawcett was approached by Barrymore or whomever to cameo in movie, her condition was to be the voice of Charlie. As John Forsythe was still living at the time, the answer was no. When they asked Kate Jackson, she wanted to be the villain... I'm thinking now she and Demi Moore, as fallen Angel Madison, should have appeared in this movie as part of Bosley's new organization...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c...

Rant and Update

First off, I must ask: Where the bloody hell is my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows ? I ordered the thing five days ago! I'm going to start reading spoilers soon! I really want to read this book! Anyway, so I'm still volunteering at the library. We're in the middle of an inventory now. I've also looked in the catalog, one, to see if we had certain new books already and, two, if we did, to see which branch. This week, I've been assigning call numbers to new books. I haven't done that at all since school and that was Library of Congress (LC) classification anyway while here they use Dewey and Cutter numbers. Tomorrow, I won't be going in as the librarian is out today and tomorrow and I did all the work she left for me already.

Random Comments Into My Life

We did yardwork yesterday. I picked up a lot of sticks. Home Depot sucks on a Friday morning. My father and I went to get a new gascan for the mower and there was only one employee around to help us...and she didn't know anything about how these new fangled gas cans work... So due to a bank error when I reset my bank account so I could accurately keep track again, I had like a hundred dollars less in my account than I thought so my last bill payment put me in the hole. This would've been all right and easily fixed if I had been paid for the last week of my mailroom job but, oddly, I still have not been even though it's been weeks. I don't know if I can accurately convey how infuriated this makes me. If it doesn't happen soon, heads will roll! Also yesterday I re-watched the Enterprise episode "Regeneration"; this time with audio commentary from the writers. They made some valid points I hadn't considered on the issue of if this episode screws with...