Skip to main content

Ohio, Maine and Other Assorted Comments

First off, I’d like to welcome all new you new readers to my blog. I have much random topics brewing in my head so let’s begin.

My parents are in Scotland right now so I’m here alone with the cat. It’s been a few days and I still turn the tv volume down at night and covwer myself with a towel coming out of the shower even though there are no humans here to care. Susie doesn’t seem to care either way.

A couple weekends ago, my parents and I took a trip to Ohio. The main purpose of the trip was to see an old friend who near death but we also saw some other old friends and toured the headquarters of the UCC in Cleveland. My part of the trip was to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That s the best museum I have ever been to in my life. We literally stayed all day. I haven’t done that in a museum ever.

The following weekend we headed back up to Maine to see a play my cousin’s daughter was in: a junior version of the play "Honk!" She was spectacular as The Cat. The following day we went to a Seadogs game. It was great fun. They beat the Gators soundly and a home run was hit so the lighthouse appeared. The downside was that half my face sunburned. I looked like the Phantom of the Opera for awhile there.

In more trivial news, I was reading that Veronica Mars was renewed by UPN despite sagging ratings. Did they give Enterprise the same courtesy? No. Now I don’t know what the demographic of Mars is but it seems like only teenage girls would like the show. They don’t have money. Sci-fi nerds, on the other hand, shell out hundreds of dollars on entire seasons of shows on DVD and online dating sites. Which demographic should they suck up to? You tell me...

Since was in Boston for the historic gay marriage debate, I feel it’s only right that I comment on the recent civil union debate going on here. Yes, it would be nice if the measure went farther but I think gay rights advocacy groups should look at the glass as half full or at least as out of the cupboard, no pun intended. This will take baby steps. Connecticut is a blue state but we are a snooty blue state. We will not change with the times unless we absolutely must and so enjoy the victory.

And now a word about how freaking old I must be. There’s a new song out by J LO and Fat Joe titled "Hold You Down." In my day, being told that they would be held down was a bad thing. I mean, wasn’t that what Women’s Lib was all about? Now, I guess it means "I got your back." Honestly, I can’t keep up...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

The Big E and Other Commentary

Last night, we went to the Big E up in West Springfield. It was apparently Connecticut Day so the parade was all CT all the time. It was the longest parade I have ever watched. It went on like forever. We got a baked potato at the Maine Building and a Spiced Apple Cider Donut at the Vermont building as well as sharp cheese called "The Preacher." I wanted to get "The Green Mountain Boys" which was supposedly XX-sharp but my father wouldn't go for it. We then went to the Sam Adams Beer Garden where I ordered an Octoberfest. Mine was 20 ounces so it looked huge compared to the little cups of chardonnay my parents ordered. We then went over to get the special Big E cream puff. Has anyone heard Clay Aiken's new song? He's covering Badfinger's "Without You" of all things and, I really hate say this, it's pretty good... We're having another Movie Night a week from tomorrow. We've decided today that we're going to watch Akeela