Skip to main content

Ugh. It's Getting Hot Again.

Greetings! I’ve been meaning to post for awhile now but every time I’m in the mood something comes up. Also, it seems that my personal life is what interests you readers so I had to wait until something of interest came up.

Today, I observed library at a local elementary school on the invitation by a friend of a friend. (Who know networking could get so complicated?) I got a tour and observed story time with a kindergarten class and then watched them check- out books. It was an interesting and informative morning. Currently, I am not certified to work in a school library (I should clarify that for the neophytes that read this that college libraries, though schools are referred to as academic libraries.) But I’m entertaining the possibility of getting such certification now that I know my student teaching can actually be done in a library setting as opposed to a classroom. Since I already have a master’s degree, the thinking is it may only be a few courses. I would love more input on this.

After I came home I had an interesting and informative conversation with a public librarian here in town who is a friend of another friend. She told me that it would be very difficult to get a reference job here in Connecticut unless I get into a system on a part-time basis first as the outlook that librarians will all retire soon didn’t seem likely to her. She also told me that that’s not how the library here works but it does work elsewhere. Except for the second part pertaining to the "real job outlook" and the third part about the peculiarities of this town, this wasn’t new to me but I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

In other job news, I heard from Minnesota the other day. They sent me one of those Affirmative Action survey things to fill out and sent back. Again, I should point out being a young white male does make me a minority in this field! Also, there seemed to be some confusion from my readers as to what this position actually is. It’s not schooling. It’s actually on the job training.

In further job news, I finally heard back on a question I had posed the human resource department at my undergrad school about a position at their library. Rather than actually answering my question on why a Maine State Driver’s License is required, they simply said that they encourage me to apply if I feel I’m qualified. I really don’t know. If they need someone who can drive, though I can’t see why, then I’m not qualified but I am other than that so I probably will apply unless you reader’s think I shouldn’t. Again, input would be appreciated.

Now something completely different: I bought Bruce Springsteen’s new album recently as well as a couple others. It doesn’t have the E-Street Band on it with him but I’ve identified at least one member of the Max Weinberg 7 that does appear on a track. Odd but a good album anyway.

Before I go, I want to recommend both the films Bridget Jones II and Windtalkers for probably different reasons. I’ll just say for now that I will really now never be able to hear "Like a Virgin" without cracking up again. I’ll leave you to guess which film I’m referring to...

Comments

Brett said…
As for me, I have to be in a pretty goofy mood to watch Bridget Jones Diary. I never saw the second one in the theatre, but will check it out eventually.

So what's the deal with Minnesota? Are they offering to train you, or wanting you to train others? That part was not clear to me. Also, I have the distinct misfortune of having to travel through there next Monday on my way to Des Moines. Let me tell you, neither city can be described as being a 'happening place'. Honestly, even BURGER KING has the chairs on the tables by 5pm. The city becomes a ghost town. Not to mention the fact that every time I go there my travel plans are messed up somehow. I am NOT a happy camper at having to go back! LOL Life is very... slow... out there.
Tusc said…
There's no place like home...
There's no place like home...

Auntie Em! Auntie Em!
Likestrek said…
I'm often not totally clear on what I mean. Let me try again. This residency is much like a medical residency whereas I get paid to learn how to be an academic librarian with on the job training, mentors etc. No, I'll be the one who gets trained. Oh and I'm not big on the nightlife anyway...

Popular posts from this blog

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …