Skip to main content

When A Geek Posts

The major event of my birthday this year was going to another play but, unlike last year, this was at the Ivoryton Playhouse instead of on Broadway. We saw "An Inspector Calls." The play was very well acted and the plot was very suspenseful. The only drawback I can stress is that when the first act ends, there was some confusion as to if it was intermission or actually over. It could have been over but no one came out to give bows or anything. There was no mention of how many acts in the program as is usual and the director never gave a hint either way when she introduced it. It turned out all right but... This was the most "community theater" experience I've had here in Connecticut in that you could eat in the theater but the actors were still mostly professional. It was a very good time.

Yesterday, I went with my mother and a colleague of hers to a Christian Education conference. I personally went to a workshop on children's literature where most age appropriateness was discussed. Is Dragonwings appropriate for 4th graders, as assigned reading, and is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants an appropriate novel for 10 year old 6 graders to read for fun? My thought is not yet to the first question though certainly later but the second is trickier in that, as I pointed out, innuendo is such that you either get it or you don't. The real issue is that parents feel that their children are growing up too fast which even as a causal observer I can see they are but forbidding children from reading such material really the way to go? Discuss.

Comments

JRRyan said…
I want to say two things:

1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

2. DRAGONWINGS is one of the best books of all time.

Fourth grade seems kind of early imo. I also disagree that THE GIVER is often taught in 6th grade. There's no way the kids are sophisticated enough to appreciate all the awesomeness in the THE GIVER. I'd like to teach that to kids in high school... I think the girls in SISTERHOOD are significantly older than 10 years old, so even for free reading it seems like it shouldn't be on a list for that grade level. I'm not saying that the kids can't read it, but there's a certain resposibility a school has when creating a list even for pleasure reading...

So I guess I had 3 things to say. What kind of cake did you get? HAPPY BIRTHDAY again!!!! :D
Likestrek said…
My parents bought a Black and White Cake from David Glass over in So. Windsor. It's kind of a chocloate mousse/cheesecake thing though really more the former than the latter. The incing on top to me tastes like the cream filling in a Cadbury Egg which totally rocks of course...

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b