Skip to main content

The First Dollar

Today, I received in the mail from the publisher a cash advance. Sure, it's only a dollar but it's symbolism anyway. The book is already written. At the moment, I'm in the midst of editing the final draft. I don't have an official release date as of yet but it won't be very long now. I'm very excited. More and more people have told me that they want to read it so it will sell at least a couple dozen copies. Hey! you have to start somewhere...

This past weekend, I went up to see my parents and, yes, get a better author photo. I bought a new CD, which was selling for a good price at that: Instant Karma: Save Darfur which is a compilation of John Lennon covers to benefit Amnesty International's efforts in that area of the globe. My parents and I were quite impressed by this double album. I question why there are two cover each of "Imagine" and "Give Me Some Truth" when there are at least three or four songs not included at all, most notably "Borrowed Time" but Jakob Dylan and Dhani Harrison's cover of the aforementioned "Give Me Some Truth" makes me crave a "Traveling Wilburys: The Next Generation." The other members have kids but I don't know if they're musical.

In a related review, we also watched the movie Across the Universe which tells the story of Jude and Lucy and their friends who also have names taken from Beatle songs living in the turbulent late Sixties with the music of the Beatles. Appearances are made by Bono, Joe Cocker and Salma Hayek. Geeks like me will enjoy trying to figure out all the song references and, if you're a Beatle fan, you'll enjoy singing along to the music.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Book title?

Popular posts from this blog

Thor Or Thunderstrike?

Marvel screwed the pooch with the Thor  franchise from the beginning. They took the more modern notion that the Asgardians are aliens not gods. In itself, that's fine but I can't help but think that just made it more complicated not less. (Wonder Woman  just killed them off which is better but that's still a big nitpick from me about THAT movie...)

I stopped regularly reading comics  after I graduated college in the early part of the century so I don't know when secret identities became passé but I think this also hurt the franchise. Originally, instead of dropping Thor on his head and giving him amnesia, Odin put him the mortal body of Donald Blake and then Eric Masterson. (Was that a complaint about Ghost Rider? Same concept really...)

In Thor: Ragnarok, to me, this '90's era of the comic where Eric Masterson WAS Thor was the best run of the comic and there were many Easter eggs from that period from Thor's Earth garb (with Mjolnir disguised as an umbrell…

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…