Skip to main content

Hot Stove Commentary

I was pleased with the signing of former Twin Boof Bonser the other day. To me he seems like an improvement over Wakefield; age-wise anyway. It looks he's gonna be a long man in the annual revamped 'pen. Whatever.

I say whatever because yesterday's signing of former Angel ace John Lackey makes the Bonser signing completely irrelevant. Despite stating the season on the DL for his former team the last two years, he still brought it for them being up near the top of their rotation. Depending on Dice-K' Matzusaka's new conditioning program goes, they'll fight each other for third which is awesome. What I don't like is this makes Clay Buccholtz trade-bait. Trade Wakefield and/or Bonser for the final bat.

Jason Bay demanding a fifth year, or at least his agent, does not impress me much. Pedro pulled the same crap when he left for the Mets. Pedro wasn't worth a longer contract then and Bay isn't now. If I was negotiating I'd give him 4 years as well but include an option. I'm pretty sure that would be turned down as well. Veteran Mike Cameron will fill the bill just fine. He brings improved defense and his offense isn't that much worse than Bay despite complaints to the contrary. Since both he and Ellsbury are primarily centerfielders who have experience in left, I'm sure that'll be straightened out in spring training.

Mike Lowell is a great guy and player. He was a tack-on to the Beckett deal but became so much more than that. The idea of him and David Ortiz splitting time at DH was an intriguing one but he brings with him too many question marks on defense. I don't know what the current market on either first or third basemen is right now but with Kevin Youklis and Casey Kotchman available to them already, only serious offers need apply.

OK, Marco Scutaro isn't Alex Gonzales defensively but then, looking at the complete package, he isn't Julio Lugo either. He'll be more than fine. Jed Lowrie may get it together and become the shortstop we want him to be but I worry that time is farther off than originally thought. Heck, I think we should be prepared for it to never come.

It's not even Christmas so I'm sure Theo and his crew have one more trick up their sleeve and I can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…