Skip to main content

Brain Dump

Several topics have been ruminating in my head for days and I need to unpack them. Some are extremely trivial; especially compared to some of the other things I want to discuss, vent or whatever about but if you can't do that on your own blog, what is the point of having a blog?

1.  The Red Sox have been awesome and impressive this season.  What a turnaround.  I'm sure Juan Nieves  does the bulk of the work with the pitching staff . The improvement of the bullpen could be all him for all I know but Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz have definitely benefited from the return of John Farrell.

      Pitching and defense may win games but the offense has not disappointed. Whenever the team is able to play again, Ortiz will be back.  Sure he's not going to hit 50 homers but we'll probably get 20-30 added to the mix which would be awesome!

2.  The search for the second fugitive has cancelled not only the game (despite all the talk yesterday from player on how the people of New England need something else to watch besides news coverage. Sure, with public transportation shut down, not even kids eating free and five dollar beers will fill the seats...) but apparently CBS has decided not to show Vegas  and instead will have a fucking news special where nothing new will be discussed.  (I apologize for the swearing but spell check won't accept substitutions...) Sure, the incident in Boston hits closer to home than 9/11 did as I actually know people affected but they're home safe.  Let us watch something else!

3.  Recently, the Senate rejected a bill to improve background checks for gun purchases.  I don't want suggest the NRA are the only bad lobbyist group but in this case their interference was clear.  (It just occurred to me NRA member Tom Selleck's show (I'm pretty sure) is still on tonight...) When Susan Collins, whom I will never vote for, chides her colleagues  FOR NOT EVEN READING THE BILL, you know the American people's interests were not served.  (Despite idiotic Facebook comments to the contrary.)

The Republicans seem hell bent on keeping the 2nd Amendment the way it is claiming the Constitution is the all-powerful document that shouldn't be messed with all the while trying to repeal the The 14th Amendment and, in North Carolina, trying to dissolve the separation of church and state.  (Yes, I know that failed but the fact they tried at all is pathetic.) 

I can only think of three things you do with guns: kill people, kill animals for sport and shooting out streetlights which is vandalism and illegal.  Admittedly, none of these things interest me in the least.
"Because we can" is the common response I get when I bring up these three things.  That in turn makes me think of this clip...  





4.  The Beauty and the Beast remake irritates the crap out of me. I was a huge fan of the original show. The part I loved best was the Tunnel World and it's mythology (whom you can credit a great deal to Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin). The new show doesn't have this.  They do have a bastardized version of the opening speech. Supposedly, Vincent and "Cat" still can't be together but manage to have sex at least once an episode. Say what? In their defense, I will say the storyline isn't terrible, it's just not Beauty and the Beast.  Oh, although, I'm pretty sure you can't trick a voice activated door lock to a black ops facility with voice mail message...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Captain America Throws His Mighty Shield...

As I was recently discussing with someone on Twitter, I'm not a big fan of "Good Guys Manipulated Fight Each Other" films so it's sad that Captain America: Civil War came out so close on the heels of Batman v. Superman. As maybe I've confessed before I am more of a Marvel fan but that is not why this one was better.  DC fans frequently point out this was the 13th Marvel film while BvS  is only the second of their new cinematic universe. To me, that's why it worked better. The tension was building out of the last Avengers  movie and the characters have interacted for several movies worth of time (One must assume interactions happen off screen as well) so they know each other pretty well. Two friends having a disagreement carries so much more weight than two strangers going at it. 

In my critique of  Batman v. Superman,  I noted that the end of the featured fight hinged on the fact both characters' mothers were named Martha. Here, the big fight ended when …

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …