Skip to main content

A Concert Review? I Do That?

Looking back in the archives, I haven't done a concert review since 2010. To give you perspective, in the review, I mention the opening act has a MySpace page...

Last night, though I knew it was coming, I bought my ticket at 4:30pm for the 8:00 show of  Steady On: Lilith Fair at 20  with Sharon Goldman from New Jersey, Lara Herscovitch from CT (Given that she gave Goldman crap for being from Jersey, I'm guessing Hartford area. This song I'm listening to now mentions Litchfield...) and Maine artists Ronda Dale and Lisa Redfern. I was surprised to note I was not the only man that went solo. Turns out, they were the husbands of the artists! Goldman and Herscovitch started this tour after a conversation at a folk festival in Florida. They didn't spell it out but I'm guessing they bring in local artists to join them at their different stops?

In his introduction, the head of the venue's board described these artists as "next generation" of artists from those that performed on the Lilith Fair tours. Given the artists they covered (They played original material too.), with the exception of Emmylou Harris, became recognizable names to mainstream audiences circa 1994, this is accurate and has the added benefit of making me feel old. (Shawn Colvin is embarking on the 25th Anniversary tour of Sunny Came Home...)

The concert started with the four performing Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason" before splitting off and doing their favorite covers in pairs.  Goldman introduced her cover of "Galileo" by noting she was relived to find out it was her husband's favorite Indigo Girls song as well! Redfern introduced her cover of Joan Osborne's "One of Us" by saying she loved the song then didn't because of overplay on the radio but now loves it again. During this performance, I admittedly flashed back to a scene in the TV series  Lucifer where they discuss the song...

 Herscovitch introduced the portion of the first act where they played their own songs by mimicking "But we don't know those songs!" then said, "There's a way to remedy that..." (I bought two of hers and one of Goldman's during the intermission.)

The second act started with the four doing the radio edit version of "Building a Mystery." (Yeah, I found that weird too...) Goldman introduced her next cover, 10,000 Mainiacs' "These Are The Days" but saying she inserted it into her wedding video and then her sister included it on hers....

Before performing Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner," Ronda Dale said she'd read Vega hears the song in her head with "French tinkling" on the piano. Goldman, the keyboardist, didn't know what that meant but I think it came out pretty well.

I've been to many concerts and that was definitely the shortest artists have made you wait before coming back on stage for a encore.  A Capella versions of "These Are The Days" and the Indigo Girls hit, "Closer to Fine." I was admittedly expecting "The Water is Wide"...

I had a great time but do wish they played slightly deeper cuts in their cover selections.  Herscovitch of all of them went deepest with her covers performing songs from Shawn Colvin ("Steady On" is interestingly one of them)  and Patti Griffin I'm not hugely familiar with...
      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …