Skip to main content

As Promised

Yesterday before we went to the Big E!, I came across the Boston Globe's Top 50 Sci Fi shows. Those of you who know me well know that I cannot let a list such as this pass without basically ripping it a new one.

Let's start with the things they did right. I love the fact they included The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman (Take that SciFi!) as well as Dark Angel and newer science fiction such as Stargate Atlantis. I even agree that Earth:Final Conflict should be on it despite the last season.

Here's where we run into problems. The Man From U.N.C.L.E is not a science fiction show. If spy shows are in fact scifi then Alias must be included. Why was the original Battlestar Galactica included and not Knight Rider? Personally, I preferred John Doe over Nowhere Man and Beauty and the Beast over Lois and Clark which shouldn't have been included over the far superior Smallville anyway. (The list was probably compiled well before the season premiere but still...)

The most grievous omission to this list is the best Star Trek series known to fans simply as Deep Space Nine especially considering they did include Voyager the worst of the five.

That is just a small sampling of my problems with it but you get the idea.

Comments

LadyVader said…
Okay, DS9 sucked ass! They never freakin' went anywhere!
Likestrek said…
Actually, they frequently did, just not every week which viewers would know. Anyway, why do you have to go anywhere to tell a decent story?
LadyVader said…
It's STAR TREK! The "trek" part would indicate some sort of travel.

Voyager is on the list b/c of Janeway. She rocks.
Likestrek said…
Kirk in a Skirt. The problem with Voyager for me was that it was derivitive of the previous series. At least setting DS9 on a station was different. It is true that Voyagewr was created because of your complaint though.

Popular posts from this blog

Thor Or Thunderstrike?

Marvel screwed the pooch with the Thor  franchise from the beginning. They took the more modern notion that the Asgardians are aliens not gods. In itself, that's fine but I can't help but think that just made it more complicated not less. (Wonder Woman  just killed them off which is better but that's still a big nitpick from me about THAT movie...)

I stopped regularly reading comics  after I graduated college in the early part of the century so I don't know when secret identities became passé but I think this also hurt the franchise. Originally, instead of dropping Thor on his head and giving him amnesia, Odin put him the mortal body of Donald Blake and then Eric Masterson. (Was that a complaint about Ghost Rider? Same concept really...)

In Thor: Ragnarok, to me, this '90's era of the comic where Eric Masterson WAS Thor was the best run of the comic and there were many Easter eggs from that period from Thor's Earth garb (with Mjolnir disguised as an umbrell…

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…