Skip to main content

Experiences, Educational And Not

Yesterday, my family and a went down to New York with a couple of my mother's colleagues to the Jewish Heritage Museum. It was quite an experience from two men quoting whole episodes of M.A.S.H. and Mork and Mindy on the drive down to seeing Heinrich Himmler's personal copy of Mein Kampf. I, of course, knew that the Nazis persecuted Jews, homosexuals, and non-whites but I was unaware until yesterday that Jehovah Witnesses were also persecuted. (Insert your own politically incorrect joke here.) There was a few other things I was not aware of as well. I highly recommend you all go down to see it.

This week, I got two more movies out of the library. The first I watched was Serenity. I'm sure I mentioned somewhere how much I couldn't stand Firefly as a TV show but I'm happy to report that the concept works so much better as a movie. I attribute it to a bigger budget but maybe that's too obvious an explanation. I just so love Joss Whedon's dialogue. Given that he was writing an X-men comic last I heard, I think they should take him seriously in taking over the franchise if the series is indeed not over.

I also saw the updated Manchurian Candidate. Wow. The acting in this was incredible. I still don't know what they were implying having Meryl Streep look like Hillary Clinton but she was deliciously evil. Obviously, there was only so many ways to advertise this movie so the mystery was way too obvious but I think the little twist at the end was still acceptably unexpected. Anyway, the acting is so good I don't think you'll care; I didn't.

In employment news, I received a letter to take another employment test at a nearby library. It's at one of the libraries I took a test previously but not in a town beginning with B or G. The position this time is for a substitute reference librarian as opposed to a permanent one so I find it hard to believe the level of expectation will be as high though it will be high enough I'm sure. The test will be at the end of the month.

Speaking of libraries I want to rant a bit about my library's Interlibrary Loan Policy. According to their website, You can't use ILL for "entertainment DVDs." I understand they may be worried about them being damaged in the mail but the phrase above implies to me that they will request DVDs from another library if it isn't entertaining. So, if I want to locate a movie on "How To Perform Colonoscopies at Home" that's worth risking damage but if I want to get out the first season of a TV series, hell no!

Comments

JRRyan said…
I hated FIREFLY as a tv show too but I was gonna give SERENITY a chance, but thanks for reminding me about that.

I wasn't gonna give the new MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE a chance because it looked so glossy and action-y and I guess I liked the old one so much I was turned off by a lot in the trailer. But perhaps I will rethink my stance on it based on Meryl Clinton and your review.
Likestrek said…
You gotta love Meryl Clinton...I'm glad I was able to help guide you to the video store or library.

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b