Skip to main content

Home Alone

My parents have started their vacation and I've started my vacation from them. I realize my last post may have been a little too geeky even for me. It is possible I just have a quirky sense of humor that's easily ignored. We shall see although, I admit, there are times I do not like being ignored.

In other news, the Sox-Braves game last night gave me fits. And they won! They're trying to kill me, I swear! One more word on this topic: will it be a good thing to put a pitcher on the mound that the royally sucky KC Royals dumped? I mean if they aren't willing to use him, and I'm sure they need pitching, he has to really suck. I think it was Francona who suggested he may pitch better on a contender. That's not my personality at all. I wouldn't say to myself, "We suck so I'm going to feel free to suck." Then again, I see the glass as half-full only half the time...

We went to a joint graduation party for neighboring high school graduates we know. The music variety was awesome. The girls and their parents must have combined their catalogs. The food was also very good. My father commented that the grads must have picked the menu as there were chips, cheese balls, mozzarella sticks. My thought on this, besides that I love mozzarella sticks though more hot and gooey, is that, if it was my party, I'd pick the menu too.

Yesterday was a busy day; at least by my standards. It was Children's Sunday so the children ran the service. Honestly, I think that was the best one we've had in awhile. As a teacher's assistant, I received a Border's card from my father the pastor and a box of chocolate crayons from one of the kids. It was cute.

My cousin from Oregon flew in for lunch as she's doing a mission trip thing in Western Mass. I'm guessing it had been over three years since we saw her last as the war began while were out there. So she wouldn't feel out of place, we celebrated Father's Day on Saturday instead.

Comments

Danielle said…
Your last post wasn't *so* geeky. I enjoyed it, anyhow. Hope you're doing well, talk to you soon.

Popular posts from this blog

When Captain America Throws His Mighty Shield...

As I was recently discussing with someone on Twitter, I'm not a big fan of "Good Guys Manipulated Fight Each Other" films so it's sad that Captain America: Civil War came out so close on the heels of Batman v. Superman. As maybe I've confessed before I am more of a Marvel fan but that is not why this one was better.  DC fans frequently point out this was the 13th Marvel film while BvS  is only the second of their new cinematic universe. To me, that's why it worked better. The tension was building out of the last Avengers  movie and the characters have interacted for several movies worth of time (One must assume interactions happen off screen as well) so they know each other pretty well. Two friends having a disagreement carries so much more weight than two strangers going at it. 

In my critique of  Batman v. Superman,  I noted that the end of the featured fight hinged on the fact both characters' mothers were named Martha. Here, the big fight ended when …

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …

An X-Cellent Post

 X-Men: Apocalypse is the third of the "prequel movies" and today is my second favorite after First Class.  Don't get me wrong: the last one,  Days of Future Past,was far from terrible but you could easily argue it was an excuse to feature Hugh Jackman. The other two do just fine with cameos (which are both awesome and unnecessary but I digress...)

The two biggest complaints I've had about the franchise are the lack of even internal continuity and lack of effort. This movie clearly had the attitude they know continuity is messed up and they don't give a shit. Havok and Cyclops are brothers but inexplicably 20 years apart in age but certainly don't look it. In '83, Prof. Xavier sees CIA Moira McTaggart for the first time since the Cuban Missile Crisis and comments, "You haven't aged a day!" Not even James Bond is a field agent in his late '50's but whatever... (Speaking of Moira,  Rose Byrne is Tasmanian while the character is Scottis…