Skip to main content

I Really Wish I Blogged Sooner

This past weekend, I went up to see my parents. This time I got a ride up with my boss as she was going to go and visit her sister who lived nearby. (It was at this point I realized I forgot to pack underwear. Thankfully I knew my parents had spares for just such an emergency...) We got a later start than I thought originally but the trip was pretty fun listening to her CDs and sharing the memories the songs had for us. We stopped for dinner and we both had fish and chips but I had white chocolate pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. That was very good but a very small portion if you ask me.

Saturday night, we saw Elizabeth on TV. It was the 1998 version with Cate Blanchett. The cast was amazing! I thought was good.

Sunday, I went to my mother's church for a change and then the two of us went to see a live production of Jesus Christ Superstar. I had seen the movie of course but I had never seen it live before. I loved it! I especially enjoyed Herod's dancing girls...

We decided to scrap my earlier plan of going home from there so I could see the disappointing UConn-Stanford game. At least they played better than the men in their tourney...

My mother drove me to the bus the next morning and I was told the bus had broke down and was at the garage. We waited a half hour or so and we decided to just go home. I refunded my ticket

The plan now was to go with my mother to a meeting on the way and then just drive the rest of the way to Portland. My father, for reasons only he knows, decided that he'd take me back to the bus station instead forcing me to re-buy the ticket; the price of which had gone up 75 cents the 24 hour period. Yes, I could have just kept my original ticket if I'd known... ::Shrugs::

Finally, the press release for my upcoming book was sent. It doesn't include the release date, oddly, but I know it's up in the publisher's own store and listed on Target's site of all places. (I found that after Googling my name and the book's title.) Nowhere else yet.

Comments

Cathy said…
Congrats!! We all know how much the Boy and I love to shop at Target. I'll have to email you the rest of my questions! ;) You've been saying you wanted to be a writer since we were little kids. WooHoo! :)
JRRyan said…
Book? Spy book??? Hot damn, I'm am SO PUMPED! I've been out of my blog-checking loop but...you have taken my hiatus to DELIVER! I'm so excited and will totally buy it, like full price, not half.com like I normally do. I LOVE SPY NOVELS.

Popular posts from this blog

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…