Skip to main content

Wrestling With Life and Other Issues

In the last week or so, I've watched two completely different movies for two completely different audiences. First, The Spiderwick Chronicles. This movie was clearly trying to cash in on Harry Potter and perhaps even the Narnia movies. This was also based on a book series but instead of just one book per movie so they could legitimately milk it, this movie had plot and storyline from books 1-3 and 5. I really don't understand their reasoning here but, not having actually read the books, I can't complain too much.

As for the movie itself, it pales in comparison to the other series mentioned above. Again, I haven't read the books here where I certainly have in the other two cases so maybe I'm ignorantly bias. While I honestly didn't even notice both of the brothers were played by Freddie Highmore, this role wasn't as good as Charlie never mind the kid, who's name escapes me, in "Finding Neverland." This wasn't mother Mary-Louise Parker's best role either but I suppose you can't have a woman dying of AIDS in a kid's movie...

Seth Rogen was the shit as the hobgoblin Hogsqueal but it's probably good his role wasn't bigger...

On Tuesday, I had some free time so I went down to the the movie theater. The Wrestler was the movie about to start so I went to that. I had very low expectations as it has Academy Award nominations which many times means "boring." I don't even like wrestling and still don't. It amazes me just how much shit these men go through to make the fake look real. It makes you wonder way they don't just fight for real. Twenty years after he was the famous "Randy the Ram", Randy (played convincingly by Mickey Rourke) has a heart attack and is force to face his own mortality and retire. He finds the real world sucks and no one really cares about him as a person. Meanwhile, the woman he wants to settle down with, played awesomely by Academy Award winning actress Marissa Tomei, a stripper which is a profession you also can't do forever but she's in denial. She eventually comes around but is it too little, too late? I don't even know if she's nominated but given that she won for My Cousin Vinnie, she is a serious contender this year...

I feel compelled to end in a completely different direction. When I was in Boston, same sex marriage was a big issue, when I was in Connecticut, it was there. I shared my feelings both times so, now that the issue as come up here to Maine, I want to discuss it again given I have friends on both sides of the issue. Opponents' arguments point to the male and female pronouns found in the bible. The printed form of the bible was first put together when not even gay people were in favor of gay people even existing so this argument really doesn't hold water for me. I honestly do not believe that "the good book" is the actual definitive Word of God as writer bias always will appear. "Liberal media" anybody?

Interestingly, I hear more opponents of this issue actually state they'd be OK with civil unions than I did in the other two state discussions. I find this both fascinating and hopeful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b