Skip to main content

Another Mismash of Stuff

1. Last Saturday night I was invited to a party by a student at the Seminary where I work. He's housemates of sorts with a couple I know from church but most everyone I knew there was from work as the others from church had the "dual identity" as did. As the house was in my neighborhood, I walked down. I gave myself about 25 minutes and ended up being the first to arrive. I also ended up being one of the last to leave as the 9pm stop time happened and the dancing to Van Morrison happened. The there was an impromptu jam session so the party really didn't end until almost 10:30. Great time.

2. As some of you may remember we had a bed bug problem awhile back. Our movie-loving cook friend decided it was time for us to get furniture again so we went out recliner shopping. (Hey, if she was willing to pay...) We ended up getting a recliner AND a Canadian rocker. Both are awesomely comfortable.

3. On Sunday, we watched The Gift with Cate Blanchett. Given this was directed by Sam Raimi, I wasn't sure what to expect. It really not like Spider-man or Evil Dead. While I like both, this was a good thing I think. I was surprised this was co-written by Billy Bob Thorton but there was shades of Sling Blade so I guess... The cast was great. Keanu Reeves plays a great redneck alcoholic wife-beater. (Is that redundant?) Maybe his best role ever...

4. Last night we watched The Boy With Striped Pajamas about a boy ignorant of teh fact his father ran Nazi concentration camp. The ending was either very sad or morbidly, and ironically, comic depending on your personality. The acting was superb; I think award nominated...

5. Not long after we finished, the power went out due to a really nasty storm we had go through town yesterday. It was out about 2 hours.

6. So Spring Thaw, despite the fact the official deadline I was given was two months ago, is still not available to buy anywhere except the publisher's own site. I emailed the publisher 4 times and got no response any of the times. If I ever finish the third book, I'm not going back to them. Before I re-signed with them for this book, I checked into agents and came up empty. If you have any leads, I'd love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c...

Rant and Update

First off, I must ask: Where the bloody hell is my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows ? I ordered the thing five days ago! I'm going to start reading spoilers soon! I really want to read this book! Anyway, so I'm still volunteering at the library. We're in the middle of an inventory now. I've also looked in the catalog, one, to see if we had certain new books already and, two, if we did, to see which branch. This week, I've been assigning call numbers to new books. I haven't done that at all since school and that was Library of Congress (LC) classification anyway while here they use Dewey and Cutter numbers. Tomorrow, I won't be going in as the librarian is out today and tomorrow and I did all the work she left for me already.

Random Comments Into My Life

We did yardwork yesterday. I picked up a lot of sticks. Home Depot sucks on a Friday morning. My father and I went to get a new gascan for the mower and there was only one employee around to help us...and she didn't know anything about how these new fangled gas cans work... So due to a bank error when I reset my bank account so I could accurately keep track again, I had like a hundred dollars less in my account than I thought so my last bill payment put me in the hole. This would've been all right and easily fixed if I had been paid for the last week of my mailroom job but, oddly, I still have not been even though it's been weeks. I don't know if I can accurately convey how infuriated this makes me. If it doesn't happen soon, heads will roll! Also yesterday I re-watched the Enterprise episode "Regeneration"; this time with audio commentary from the writers. They made some valid points I hadn't considered on the issue of if this episode screws with...