Skip to main content

The Spy Genre That Me Loves

Finding movies (or sitcoms for that matter but that's better left for another post) on Netflix that look interesting but haven't already seen has been Mission: Impossible lately. Case in point, I re-watched Mission: Impossible III last night. The most recent installment, Ghost Protocol is even more Mission: Imnpossible-y and therefore even better but III is a nice first step. One of the little things I liked about Ghost Protocol was use of the Alias codename "Outrigger." In my third viewing of III, I finally noticed the use of the codename "Phoenix." Also, having watched Maggie Q, who played the "femme fatale" here, in her current role of Nikita, I found myself comparing the two roles.

My cousin and I have contended for years the franchise can work again on TV. It was established in the '80's that there was more than one team simultaneously so the movies would not be affected. Also, it wouldn't have any of the issues other recent "reboots" like Knight Rider or Bionic Woman when they were clearly stressed over making the shows relevant to today's audiences. (Please don't mention Beauty and the Beast in my presence.) as the film franchise has already done it. (Sure, making Jim the villain in the first one killed original cast member Greg Morris but...)

After watching both Star Trek: Nemesis and the most recent Bond film Skyfall, screenwriter John Logan clearly has a knack for giving characters things to do. In Nemesis, the only characters that don't have anything special to do are Crusher and LaForge and the former is still needed because she's the only one who knew Picard as a young man... In Skyfall, M leaves the the office and has an opportunity to kick ass. Q also seemed to have more to do than usual. Who else would you want to write "team concept" movie? Not to mention, like Star Trek, it has Desilu origins.... The clincher for me is this: Logan wrote The Last Samurai which is probably my favorite Tom Cruise movie...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b