Skip to main content

Likestrek's Wild World of Sports (and Other Stuff)

The whole Donald Sterling controversy is surely blazing inferno in our society and I must put my thoughts down for posterity. Conservatives pounced when the NBA cracked down on it.  "We're allowed to be assholes!" a friend commented on Facebook. Like fuck you are! In this particular case, as owner, Sterling was the face of a NBA franchise which, theoretically, should be a family friendly thing.   

"If you don't agree with his policies, just boycott." Yes, you could, still, for that matter, but the NBA still did the right thing for removing the reason for doing so. I have never been to LA so I couldn't tell you how far apart where the Clippers play from where the Lakers play but let's assume the NBA aren't just money grubbing whores and LA needs both teams for the greater good.

"But he's been a racist since he bought the team back in the '80's." We didn't have the internet so info didn't travel as quickly.  The Clippers are the NBA equivalent of the Mets and, until they started winning, have been overshadowed by the Lakers as far as anybody outside of Los Angeles knew. This may be the one time ignorance is an actual excuse.

Today, I learned that the woman who had recorded his comments, V. Stiviano, was not his mistress but, according to her, "his archivist."  I have friends who are archivists, and am technically the archivist of my church, so I find this hilarious. "What's she archiving? His sperm?" joked Aisha Tyler on The Talk.

Now, let's discuss me. Since I mentioned the library thing, some of you must be wondering about how I am feeling and if I'm ready to go back to "the old salt mines." I have say, and I noticed this on Saturday or so, I'm less inclined to be the recluse I was this past winter but still don't feel like writing and don't really have any interest in regular employment. I wouldn't say this as anything to do with my health but more to do with my continued, or more accurately, resumed grief over the loss of my seminary job. As an introvert especially I'm sure, I'm wary of jumping right back into another community just yet... 

The other thing I've noticed is my cat is driving me insane. For a cat, he's way too clingy.  I had to shut him in the bedroom this morning just to have time to myself. When I leave the apartment, or just the room for that matter, it frequently causes a hissy fit, and not the usual "another cat in the yard" kind... Is there a "grandma's house" equivalent I can look into?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…

The Blog Comes Around

Went to see Logan yesterday. I had already read tweets claiming it was the "best X-men film to date" which, to be honest, is not the highest of bars to leap over.  After seeing it, I would go much further with my praise. It doesn't really have the feel of a comic book film at all. This leaves both Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight  in the dust in this respect...

To me, it feels more like a post-apocalyptic film (a genre that seems to get more critical praise, or at least scrutiny, incidentally.)  You have a small group of people, last of their kind, making the journey to Eden. This is the trope found in that genre. Death and bleakness, found also in Westerns, is evident from the Johnny "Man in Black" Cash songbook and the inclusion of Elizabeth Rodriguez best known from the show Orange is the New Black! (Sure, possibly a coincidence but if not? Sweet!) Just because it includes characters from comic, I'm pretty sure award voters will not see it in this respec…

Strange Times

No, this isn't about the election. I'm not ready to unlease that upon the world just yet.  Instead, allow me to share my thoughts on another fantastic entry into Marvel's cinematic universe.  Doctor Strange was the perfect blend of the tone we are used to and the adding of the supernatural world.

Friends on Facebook may have noticed my comment that the first part of  The Imitation Game  was unexpectedly hilarious due in large part to Benedict Cumberbatch's turn as Alan Turing so it comes as no surprise he's awesome as arrogant neurosurgeon (a redundant phrase in my personal experience.)

Doctor Strange, like Ghost Rider, is really not a character that lends itself to having a love interest but since it's an origin story, it worked here with  fellow surgeon Dr. Christine Palmer. Certainly better than in that movie... I've loved Rachel McAdams since The Family Stone  but I'm sure the character'll just go the route of Thor's Jane Foster and just be …