Skip to main content

Science Fiction and Fantasy: The Future and the Future?

Regular readers of this blog know my love of Terry Brooks and his Shannara books. Some readers may have caught my rant on the Rizzoli and Isles TV series being irritatingly different than the books. Why change Maura's serial killer mom to a gangster dad? Why change Warren Hoyt's name to Charles? (I do appreciate now the series is definitely it's own thing now in it's final season.)

I had caught most episodes of the new Shannara Chronicles series when it originally aired and was pretty intrigued. Yes, most of the characters were not how I visualized them when I read Elfstones of Shannara back in high school (Reading the World of Shannara reference tome, I discovered my mind's eye was always wrong on that score anyway...) but the characterizations were spot on which is definitely more important. Yes, people who haven't read any of the books published recently may complain about the "cameos" made by remnants of our 21st century world but since it was made canon later and definitely helps set the show apart from Legend of the Seeker and Game of Thrones. Gnomes and Trolls for instance are not how I pictured 20 years ago but now, knowing they're descended from mutated humans, their look makes a lot of sense.

I have two questions. As was my question with Star Trek V and missing Romulans, wasn't there at least one dwarf in Elfstones? Of course, the next book  Wishsong of Shannara  takes place in Dwarf territory so maybe not... My next question is where s the show going next? The end of season 1 seems to imply the missing years between book two and three. Creatively, that might be a better way to go...

                                                   *  *  *  *  *


Regular readers of the blog also know my love of Star Trek. Overall, I've enjoyed the rebooted movie universe  devised by JJ Abrams but the thing that I missed was memorable quotes. The best ones from the first two were ripped from previous movies.  (Maybe the scripts were written by Melania Trump's speechwriter?) Star Trek Beyond gave McCoy and Spock in particular some great ones: "I fail to see how excrement of any kind would help the situation."

Abrams and co have from the beginning been awesome at giving Scotty, Sulu and Uhura more prominence but it took Simon Pegg himself co-writing to give "Montgomery Scotty" something more than comic relief and Chekov had probably his most memorable movie to date. (Sadly, following Anton Yelchin's death, the role will not, and probably shouldn't be, recast...)

As many have noted,  Beyond  had the most original story of the three. The last one, In To Darkness,  was a retelling of  Wrath of Khan which I said in my review was needed to establish the differences between the two universes.  The background of this movie ties back to the Xindi War during the third season of  Star Trek: Enterprise which took place prior to the Kelvin destruction and the timeline break meaning a version of this could take place in the original timeline meaning the opposite of the last movie. (The upcoming TV series takes place in the old universe so there could be at least name drops?)           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

Book Group Musings

As some of you know, the book group I am part of at my church, decided my book would be a good one to read over the holidays. We discussed it yesterday afternoon. It went much better than I thought it would, honestly. The format of our monthly meetings is to just discuss the book of the month but, since I the author was there, it turned into a Q & A with moi. I'd have to re-read the interview I did for the paper for instance but this may have been the first time anyone asked me why I picked a female protagonist. The answer simply is I wanted the challenge. (The consensus was I handled this fairly well.) This was definitely the first time I was asked about what a neutron bomb actually was. This was probably the first time I discussed Winter Storm with a fan of the political thriller genre so I was pleased she was engrossed by the plot. I conclude this section with a couple humorous exchanges; at least to me: Woman: The airport scene in [Geneva] was quite accurate. Me: Really?