Skip to main content

They Did It Justice...

Wonder Woman  filled me with new optimism that DC might have finally figured out what they were doing. Justice League doesn't reach that level of goodness but, for me, wasn't a huge letdown either. Combining different heroes into a team in live action was done with The Avengers so this movie had the opportunity to fix the flaws.

Some they did, some they didn't. One of the things I got tired of in Avengers  was the constant fighting amongst the team. "Hey! I see super-powered person! Let's fight!" Zack Snyder, or someone, realized he'd better get that out of the way and made  Batman v. Superman  first which is certainly one way to go.  In  Justice League itself, most infighting started because Aquaman is an ass. (Having Alan Ritchman play the character on  Smallville  then voice Raphael and now be cast as Hawk on  Titans  tells at least me something.) Now that I think about it, the team was comprised of "Daddy," "Mommy" and "3 Boys." I don't know what that makes Superman; an uncle? Grandpa?  Having it be Batman who forms the team still kinda cracks me up as he's usually "I'll take care of the financing then I'm going home. Don't call me."  

Certainly, though,  Justice League  could have added more females to the team? I mean even  Avengers  had Maria Hill as "support staff." (There were a few instances Aquaman reminded me of Hawkgirl but...)       

The villain. Steppenwolf was a fine villain but the biggest problem with him is lack of recognition. (I will also quibble his lusting after Hippolyta was unnecessary.) If you wanted a minion of Darkseid, I would have gone with Kalibak as at least that character has appeared in animated form on multiple occasions.

The designs of Steppenwolf and the Parademons may have been comic accurate but I still prefer the designs of the Super Powers collection from Kenner Toys back in the day:




I read on Twitter, Superman was going to be evil the whole movie instead of just post-resurrection disorientation. I'm so glad they changed that but I do have a quibble with Flash's characterization: I kept thinking he was a jock's interpretation of a nerd. The "I don't have friends" shit? I want to blame Snyder as what other director includes featurette of actors hitting the gym(?) but could've been  Joss Whedon I suppose...

I don't usually comment on musical score but Danny Elfman's use of John Williams' Superman  theme and his own Batman theme was well placed. I was a afraid it would be random like playing the "Klingon Theme" just because Worf was on screen. (Hadn't thought about it before but the Batman theme could easily be the "Batmobile" theme as those are the scenes I most associate it with...)

And finally, I love the tease of the Injustice Gang. I mean, we've been waiting forever for marvel to pull the trigger on the Masters of Evil.  Deathstroke is a better choice for membership than Joker. I hope they consider the female version of Copperhead as seen on  Gotham.  On the other hand, does this confirm Cheetah for  Wonder Woman 2?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b