Skip to main content

It's Different Now

I used to live in CT and come up here to Maine to watch movies but now my situation is reversed. It's kind of weird.

I went down to CT for the holiday weekend. I was a good time and I was able to see my kitty so great. Thursday, my father and I rented two movies. That night the three of us watched Night at the Museum. It was a pretty funny movie. I will say, though, that the ending was too stereotypical kid friendly. It was too forced. I will also say that Mickey Rooney made the movie for me, Lunch Box!

Friday morning I watched the other movie we rented. Looking at the cover, it said Mission Impossible III was the best Mission ever. Going in to it, I was thinking "We shall see" but I think now maybe that statement was correct. Here's why, Snack Shack: this edition is the most ensemble of all the movies. Both TV series were ensemble. It was never "The Peter Graves" show. (Heck, Steven Hill was the original star...) The movies, especially the second one, was all Tom Cruise all the time and it pissed me off. III descends into that mode for the last twenty minutes but stays true to the form throughout most of it. Replacing Cruise with the more team player in Brad Pitt in the next one will help this franchise greatly. Giving Ethan a personal life wasn't really like the TV show either but it was like Alias so I can forgive J.J. Abrams and the writers for writing what they know. Can you believe that for all the stunts and effects, the one I liked best was the disposable camera mission briefing?

Friday night, we went out to the movies because my mother wanted to Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End. I have never seen so many teenagers in one place since I was one. I was very worried we'd have teenage girls getting up every twenty minutes to use the bathroom and teenage boys making lewd comments about what was going on but they all behaved themselves. (There was wolf whistles when Will and Elizabeth made out but what can you do?) To me, the movie was very slow in going when it started but once Johnny appeared the movie's pacing got much better. He was hilarious. I would be remiss to not mention the cameo by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards rocked very hard. As my mother pointed out, I don't think he's ever looked so good... What they did with the Elizabeth Swan character was totally awesome and if they insist on doing more films, as Jerry Bruckheimer recently suggested they would, I want more of that and not just because it's Keira Knightly but that certainly is a plus... This brings up something that occurred to me while watching the movie: Women have both Johnny and Orlando to gaze at but all we have is Keira considering Naomi Harris is nauserating to look at in these movies. It doesn't seem all that fair...

Saturday morning, I was conned into helping my father sell hot dogs at our church tag sale. It wasn't too bad in itself but now that everyone knows my father is leaving for a different church I had more people tell me how they'll miss him. Of course they will!

Saturday afternoon, we went to a house warming party for a friend of ours which was kind of a going away party for us in a way I guess. It went better than I thought it was going to but it might have been nice if more people I knew attended.

I'm back in Maine now in case you were wondering...

One more thought before I go: I'm currently listening to "No One Knows" by Queens of of the Stone Age. This song was played at every Hartford Wolf Pack game I worked so it reminded me that I discovered this weekend that MSG no longer will run the Civic Center in Hartford meaning technically it's one more employer of mine that no longer exists...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

The Big E and Other Commentary

Last night, we went to the Big E up in West Springfield. It was apparently Connecticut Day so the parade was all CT all the time. It was the longest parade I have ever watched. It went on like forever. We got a baked potato at the Maine Building and a Spiced Apple Cider Donut at the Vermont building as well as sharp cheese called "The Preacher." I wanted to get "The Green Mountain Boys" which was supposedly XX-sharp but my father wouldn't go for it. We then went to the Sam Adams Beer Garden where I ordered an Octoberfest. Mine was 20 ounces so it looked huge compared to the little cups of chardonnay my parents ordered. We then went over to get the special Big E cream puff. Has anyone heard Clay Aiken's new song? He's covering Badfinger's "Without You" of all things and, I really hate say this, it's pretty good... We're having another Movie Night a week from tomorrow. We've decided today that we're going to watch Akeela