Skip to main content

Living Up To The Title

I apologize to my readers who have been short changed on blog posts from me but there has really been nothing worth talking about. In the past, I filled this blog up with TV episode reviews. I basically did this because in grad school and, living at home with my parents, I really had no one to discuss what I was watching with. Moving in here with my cousin has given me someone to discuss this with so I don't feel the need to discuss it here.

With that purpose gone, that leaves reviews of movies, books, and CDs. I have seen a movie in about a month. I can only read just so fast so I can't crank out book reviews. Reviews of CDs depend on artists I like putting them out as well as having the money to buy them. Living on my own, I obviously have more important expenses.

I could discuss my job situation. Simply put, I enjoy my volunteer job considerably but except for a "developing development" that I can't discuss right now, this isn't likely to lead to anything paying any time soon. The most promising new position open in the library world is at my alma mater which as some of you know, is in the middle of nowhere and this isn't good if you don't drive...

Aside from waitresses whose job is to show interest in you, I don't have any hint of prospects in the relationship/dating department so even though really only two readers may care about it, I can't talk about what doesn't exist. Not that I realistically could afford it anyway...

I don't really have interest in turning this blog into a "sports blog" so that's really out except for the occasional tidbit. In that vein, I will discuss my thoughts on the Olympics. To me, for the most part, the most interesting coverage was during the day on cable where you got to experience different sports like handball and volleyball both team and beach and different countries. I also enjoy that it wasn't biased towards the Americans because that isn't what the Olympics are all about. It was cool seeing both the men's and women's basketball teams.

Sadly, I really wanted to watch softball and didn't get the chance. (New Sox player Jason Bay's sister played for the Canadian team.) I can understand them dumping baseball from the roster as it's not really played around the world and our professional players are too busy with their "day job" to participate but this softball competition is all women get to show their stuff as professional softball has never really taken off. If there wasn't other competitions for women at the Games, it would smack of sexism; perhaps it still does.

While I'm in commentary mode, here are my thoughts of Barack Obama choosing Joe Biden has his running mate. Aside from his politics, I will not vote for McCain because of endorsements from Joe Lieberman and pitcher Curt Schilling; two people who don't know when to shut the hell up. Biden falls into this category. I still can't get over the fact he's on the ticket even after he called Obama "clean and articulate" implying African-Americans generally aren't. As far as foreign policy goes, he's probably a good choice but Delaware isn't a battleground state so the choice will make an interesting race in the next few months.

Who would I have picked?

1. Kathleen Sibelius. She's a woman and governor of Kansas which is traditionally a Red State. She wouldn't help on foreign policy but US relations with the rest of world could hardly get any worse...

2. Chris Dodd. Brings experience, knows when to shut up and would set up an awesome match up if McCain goes out of the box and picks fellow Connecticut senator Joe Lieberman.

Alas, Obama didn't ask me what I thought, did he?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

This Was Supposed To Be Titled "Brooms and Baseball" But, Now, Forget It...

Saturday, my aunt and roommate went with me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix . Overall, I loved it but I'd be lying if I didn't have quibbles but there was much I enjoyed about it. In the book, I found the character of Luna annoying as all get out but she totally rocked in this movie. "I'm hungry. I hope they have pudding." Delores Umbridge was also great. I did, however, miss the heavy Scottish accent Cho had in the last movie. (My cousin pointed out that she still had one but from a different region. I say it isn't the same.) I actually approved of them cutting the Quidditch stuff out of this movie but the OWL scenes, including the studying, being cut was disapointing. They had the scene with Fred and George but they didn't make clear they actually left school so what really was the point? Speaking of confusion, how exactly could the students ride creatures only Harry and Luna could see? I'm pretty sure it was explained in the book b