Skip to main content

Review and Rant, Holiday Edition

I meant to discuss this a couple days ago but I forgot then I just wasn't in the mood to post yesterday so here it is: I just recently finished reading Star Trek: Titan: The Red King. This was basically part two of the "pilot" if you will, introducing us to the crew and what not but also had a separate plot from Taking Wing. You didn't really need to read that previous book but I know I'd be left with like a hundred questions if I didn't. I really don't like how Trek books aren't stand alone any more. A prime example: Riker's first officer was apparently introduced in a previous book that I didn't read and really have no interest in reading and if I didn't read it I'm pretty sure no one else did.

I have other problems with the crew. I think it's great that Alyssa Ogawa, also late of the Enterprise, is part of the crew but why is she still a nurse? Shouldn't she be doctor? The Enterprise is the flagship so transferring off of it unless your promoted in rank is tantamount to a demotion. This book introduced Tuvok as the tactical officer. Though, I liked him least of all the Voyager crew, I suppose I don't have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that the crew includes three Next Generation characters, one Voyager character but other than Melora Pazlar who was introduced in a second season episode but was not a regular, no Deep Space Nine character. I'm not saying it's discriminatory but, to me, it seems like a illogical exclusion. Too bad Miles O'Brien was an NCO, he'd make a pretty good first officer I think...

The local NBC affiliate as started up their annual Joy of Sharing campaign. Is it just me or is that music they play while advertising it the most irritating noise you've ever heard; with the exclusion of car alarms and nails on a chalkboard of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

Book Group Musings

As some of you know, the book group I am part of at my church, decided my book would be a good one to read over the holidays. We discussed it yesterday afternoon. It went much better than I thought it would, honestly. The format of our monthly meetings is to just discuss the book of the month but, since I the author was there, it turned into a Q & A with moi. I'd have to re-read the interview I did for the paper for instance but this may have been the first time anyone asked me why I picked a female protagonist. The answer simply is I wanted the challenge. (The consensus was I handled this fairly well.) This was definitely the first time I was asked about what a neutron bomb actually was. This was probably the first time I discussed Winter Storm with a fan of the political thriller genre so I was pleased she was engrossed by the plot. I conclude this section with a couple humorous exchanges; at least to me: Woman: The airport scene in [Geneva] was quite accurate. Me: Really?