Skip to main content

It's a Smallville World After All...

Oh, come on! It was only a matter of time before I did that! Since Smallville has ended for the season, I figured I would give my review despite the fact it never generates comments. I think they did the whole Brainiac angle quite well. I love the fact they never mentioned him by name. This is a trick they did on Enterprise a few times with mixed success I think but that's another post for another time. Back in Kansas, I had wondered how they'd push Lex over to the dark side since they eliminated the reason he did so from the original comic. In it, the reason Lex goes bad was because he lost his hair and blamed Superboy for it but here, Lex and Clark don't even meet until he already lost his hair. (Hairloss is probably a lame reason anyway but it was the 1930's so what do you want?)

As far as continuity this season, though, this was also a mixed bag. Clark and Lana do break up around now but she should know his secret. I suppose their way made it easier so it's a small gripe but it gets much worse. First, they had an appearance by Bart Allen a season or two ago which is a major violation in that he's a teenage Flash now making him much younger than Clark. (Why they didn't go with Barry Allen I have no idea.) Now, this season, they made Cyborg the same age. In the comics, he was on the Teen Titans with Dick Grayson, the original Robin, which also makes him too young. (The Luthor angle with that didn't bother me and the Aquaman appearance didn't either. In fact, I really enjoyed that episode.)

I look forward to seeing how Clark escapes the Phantom Zone. In the past, all it took was a cosmic explosion or a comet hit so the writers may go for something lame like that here but I'm hoping for more this time.

In other news, I bought a couple new CDs using some of the money, after a bought the gift for my mother, I received from the seminar. I bought the new albums from Jewel and Snow Patrol. In Goodbye to Alice in Wonderland, Jewel is back! Though I may have been the only one, I enjoyed her foray into dance music. Still, it's nice to hear her old sound again. Funny thing though: "Fragile Heart" appears on the last album as well as this one. This is not the first time even Jewel has done that as "Hands" appeared on the Christmas album but those two version are at least somewhat different. These two are not that different at all. No, I'm not upset or feel cheated. I'm amused actually. I was sitting there listening to the album and I was like, "I know this song." I still don't understand why she's opening for Rob Thomas instead of vice versa. It's like Bob Dylan opening for Natalie Merchant. Not going to happen...

Snow Patrol, I've determined, is my favorite new band. Eyes Open is another great album from them. I've only listened to it once so I can't say yet if it's better (My preliminary feeling right now is no.) but it's certainly just as good. The duet with Martha Wainwright is very good indeed.

Comments

JRRyan said…
I heart it when ppl post about music bc I'm always on the outlook for good tunes. I liked what I heard of Jewel's dance stuff bc some if it was amazing for west coast swing and if nothing else, that cements the usefulness of her having taken the path less traveled by...

Also, it's great to hear about SMALLVILLE from the comic perspective (I only followed X-MEN when I went through comic book mayhem) and I know how much my fam hearts that show, esp my WB crazy dad. Now I can bring up some of your provacative points and see what he thinks. if he cares... lol

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

The Big E and Other Commentary

Last night, we went to the Big E up in West Springfield. It was apparently Connecticut Day so the parade was all CT all the time. It was the longest parade I have ever watched. It went on like forever. We got a baked potato at the Maine Building and a Spiced Apple Cider Donut at the Vermont building as well as sharp cheese called "The Preacher." I wanted to get "The Green Mountain Boys" which was supposedly XX-sharp but my father wouldn't go for it. We then went to the Sam Adams Beer Garden where I ordered an Octoberfest. Mine was 20 ounces so it looked huge compared to the little cups of chardonnay my parents ordered. We then went over to get the special Big E cream puff. Has anyone heard Clay Aiken's new song? He's covering Badfinger's "Without You" of all things and, I really hate say this, it's pretty good... We're having another Movie Night a week from tomorrow. We've decided today that we're going to watch Akeela