Skip to main content

My Christmas Vacation-The Books

Maybe this topic is a stretch to be added to my series but I finished two books a couple days ago that I was reading over vacation so I think it counts. First, I finished Star Trek: Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Written between Star Trek: Generations and Star Trek: First Contact, it tels the story of warp drive developer, Zephram Cochrane filling in the blanks between when he broke the warp barrier, him disappearing in space, and then being discovered on a distant planet by Kirk, Spock and Dr. McCoy. It further allows him to encounter Picard's crew as well. I realize how complicated this may sound but it ties together well. Because it was written before First Contact came out some of the events taking place in Cochrane's own time contradict what is now cannon such as how he developed the drive but that's a very small portion of the book so it really can be overlooked. I was thinking that Generations would be the movie that would really screw things up so it's good that waited until after that one... I thought it was kind of interesting they used the appearance of Sarek, Spock's father, to hold the story together. The TOS portion takes place after "Journey to Babel" and the TNG portion takes place after "Sarek."

The same day, I finished reading Tess Gerritsen's latest: The Bone Garden. Such a great book. Taking a break from her current book series, she tels a story that switches back and forth from the present to 1830. The present does include a cameo by Dr. Maura Isles but this is a completely different book. Honestly, I like this and miss that element of her books when she started out at Pocket Books. Her next book will return to the series, apparently. The past features Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.; the famed physician not his son the judge, investigating a serial killer. What I love best about Gerritsen's books is when she uses places I've been or at least heard of. There was a reference here to the town where I had my internship and another to a hospital I had minor surgery at years ago. My one quibble with this book is that the transitions between past and present weren't always good. Some were like, "Let's go to the past now..." As with all her books, there was a twist I really didn't expect. And, no, it doesn't have to do with the killer...

I'm getting kind of tired writing about movies but I'm compelled to share the latest fare with you all. We will begin with The Reaping with Hillary Swank who, incidentally, has never looked more attractive but then I haven't seen her in a anything where she was allowed to be feminine since her debut in The Next Karate Kid. I'm pretty sure this was her first movie after winning her second Academy Award which, if you watch this movie, will have you scratching your head. I can't really go into detail about how I really feel about this movie without ruining the movie but let me just say that I've seen more believable movies on Lifetime...

Next, we watched Rush Hour 3. Which, oddly perhaps, was more believable and more entertaining. If you've seen the first two movies, or any movie with Jackie Chan for that matter, you pretty much know what to expect here. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

Turning back to TV movies, we watched Home By Christmas with Linda Hamilton. This was the best Lifetime movie I have ever seen in my life. Since the majority of my audience is female, I have no qualms recommending it.

We finished up the night with Santa Jr. with Lauren Holly. It was pretty good but very flawed and needed a rewrite if you ask me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

The Big E and Other Commentary

Last night, we went to the Big E up in West Springfield. It was apparently Connecticut Day so the parade was all CT all the time. It was the longest parade I have ever watched. It went on like forever. We got a baked potato at the Maine Building and a Spiced Apple Cider Donut at the Vermont building as well as sharp cheese called "The Preacher." I wanted to get "The Green Mountain Boys" which was supposedly XX-sharp but my father wouldn't go for it. We then went to the Sam Adams Beer Garden where I ordered an Octoberfest. Mine was 20 ounces so it looked huge compared to the little cups of chardonnay my parents ordered. We then went over to get the special Big E cream puff. Has anyone heard Clay Aiken's new song? He's covering Badfinger's "Without You" of all things and, I really hate say this, it's pretty good... We're having another Movie Night a week from tomorrow. We've decided today that we're going to watch Akeela