Skip to main content

My Christmas Vacation- The Music

The good news was I got listen to my Ringo Starr Christmas album. I was worried it was too badly scratched but it just needed a massive cleaning. Yay!

I received a lot of CDs this year. From my parents, I received Kelly Clarkson's new album, My December. She's at the same place with her third album that Sheryl Crow was with her first. What I mean is Kelly wrote all the songs with the help of one to three other people. (Read the liner notes of Tuesday Night Music Club.) If this holds true, Kelly's sixth album should be pre-ordered now... Clive Davis didn't want this album to see the light of day. Why? While I don't like it as much as "Breakaway," it's very good indeed. I've only listened to it a couple times which is not enough time really like anything (Of course, there are exceptions in either direction.) so this may change.

From my aunt and uncle I received Raising Sand from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. When I had heard of this album, I was very skeptical but kind of curious. This is very good. While it's very country, you can here strong blues and folk influences. If anything, it's kind of Dylan-esque in this way without actually covering any of his songs. (Two Gene Clark, of the Byrds, songs are included, however.)

My cousin/roommate gave me Playback, the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers box set put out in the early 90's. It's a good mix. There are hits, some of which aren't on the actual "Greatest Hits" album, and alot of B-sides. The best stuff, however was things just not released such as the Heartbreaker version of "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" or the demo of "The Apartment Song" with Stevie Nicks. The best track found on this six-disc set is "Waiting for Tonight" with all four Bangles singing back-up. I would call that the ultimate '80's anthem up there with "Do They Know It's Christmas" but wasn't released at the time. WTF?

My uncle gave me a box set of CDs he'd want with him "on a desert island." He introduced me to The Pretty Things over Thanksgiving. SF Sorrow is actually the first rock opera before Tommy. They're an interesting combination of he Beatles and Pink Floyd. I was also given their album Parachute which is, in my opinion the better of the two. It totally rocks, actually.

Also included in the set was the double album Kink Kronikles which I think is a good starting point to start my Kink "kollection" as it's not a greatest hit collection but just a general compilation for no apparent purpose. It does have "Lola" and "Sunny Afternoon" but the best song is "God's Children."

Before Rod Stewart and Ron Wood joined the Faces, they were known as the Small Faces and put out an album entitled Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. This will need another listen but my initial impression is that it's what it would song like if Monty Python made a rock opera. It's quite fascinating.

I also received another Tyrannosaurus Rex album: Unicorn. First listen was good but this also needs another listen or two before I can give you a legitimate opinion.

Over my "vacation" I also watched two music countdowns. I didn't watch much of either but I will tell you that I agreed with The 100 Greatest Duets on CMT more than The 100 Greatest Songs of the 90's on VH-1 particularly with the number one song. "Islands in the Stream" versus U2's "One." Hello? Yes, "One" was big but it wasn't as big as Dolly and Kenny, m'kay? It's debatable if that was even the biggest song of the decade... Two more thoughts on the Duets, it seemed Willy Nelson, Alison Krauss and Emmy Lou Harris appeared a lot on this list but never together. I think this should be remedied for next time. Also, is "Crying" by Roy Orbison and k.d. lang a country song? I'm not sure that was a criteria but even "Picture" was...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Neglected Blog

With the discovery of the time-waster that is Facebook, I find I no longer need to waste my time here. This is mainly why I haven't done any quizzes or other memes here in a cat's age. (I'm not a dog person...) They're all over there. Also why tell you all about what's not going on in my life when I can better waste time by making fake money off Lindsay Lohan's hi-jinks? Added to that, you can regularly follow the mundaness that is my life on Twitter. I don't want to say I'll never blog again. Frankly, this site and I have chronicled much over the years and I'm not ready to give it up fully. Every so often, something comes up worth sharing. Case in point, Thursday night, there was a retirement celebration for our outgoing OT professor complete with a guest lecturer from Boston, dinner and a vesper service designed by the professor herself. It was good Thai food, though admittedly not my favorite Asian cuisine, and saw many people I knew. My parents c

Reversion To The Old Ways

Since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of my posts get comments and which don't, I'm going post whatever I feel like. Sure, I love comments but I must face facts that I'm not going to get them. No, I'm not going to review every episode of every TV show I'm going to watch this new season again simply because it doesn't appeal to me any more. To be sure, I will write about some of the new series since that does still interest me but not every episode... I am going to go back to complaining about my love life occassionally though because, if I can't discuss it here, where can I? Remember that workstudy student I mentioned being interested in? Yeah, well she's married apparently and I think even has at least one child so even if she didn't commute from such a long distance, nothing is going to happen with that. (Boo!) This is the first time I've discovered information of this nature before I made a complete ass of my self so this is go

The Big E and Other Commentary

Last night, we went to the Big E up in West Springfield. It was apparently Connecticut Day so the parade was all CT all the time. It was the longest parade I have ever watched. It went on like forever. We got a baked potato at the Maine Building and a Spiced Apple Cider Donut at the Vermont building as well as sharp cheese called "The Preacher." I wanted to get "The Green Mountain Boys" which was supposedly XX-sharp but my father wouldn't go for it. We then went to the Sam Adams Beer Garden where I ordered an Octoberfest. Mine was 20 ounces so it looked huge compared to the little cups of chardonnay my parents ordered. We then went over to get the special Big E cream puff. Has anyone heard Clay Aiken's new song? He's covering Badfinger's "Without You" of all things and, I really hate say this, it's pretty good... We're having another Movie Night a week from tomorrow. We've decided today that we're going to watch Akeela