Skip to main content

Back To Campus

Not missed apparently while I was away. I don't know how I feel about this.

Saw two movies this weekend. My father and I went to see the movie Twisted with Ashley Judd. I found it fairly good but predictable. Every so often , they'd throw a twist in that think the killer was someone else, this happened maybe twice, but you always go back to the real killer.

I also saw bits of Wild Things 2 which is a prequel to that delicious Neve Campbell/ Denise Richards sex thriller. It even included an analogous "threesome make out" scene. Oddly, the actress who played the Neve Campbell character was hotter than the Denise Richards character which is not the case with the "adult versions" although I would not say no if Neve came to my door. The best part of the movie was that there was no nude Kevin Bacon...

Went to the silent auction/wine drinking/dinner thing sponsored by my mother's church. I won two items I bid on and drank two glasses of wine. (Can't hold my liquor the way I used to I guess.) To help me get over Heather, my mother tried all night to fix me up with a single mother in her church. Does she want grandchildren so much she'll take them prepackaged? You betcha...

Stargate SG-1: As you all know, I hate clip shows especially where it's actors other than the main cast sitting around discussing episodes but, having said all that, I really enjoyed it. Agent Woolsey may not be such a bad guy after all which I like because you can't have Robert Picardo or any Trek actor as a bad guy. (Ok, Patrick Stewart has pulled it off but that's it.)

Enterprise: This was such a good show. I love how that are doing a cliff hanger, meaning not having the concluding part immediately, in the middle of the season. I've never really seen that done before so well done! I loved the way T'Pol privately showed emotion for Archer. I'd love to see them deal with the fact she seems to have feelings for both Archer and Trip.

Alias: About damn time they had a new episode. Doing the show from first Vaughn and Syd's point of view then from Lauren's was good in parts and boring in others. There were two scenes they redid that they didn't need to since you learn nothing new from them. Again, Marshall rocks. Question to readers who have a SO: if they were wearing a ski mask that showed only their eyes couldn't you still tell it was him or her?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thor Or Thunderstrike?

Marvel screwed the pooch with the Thor  franchise from the beginning. They took the more modern notion that the Asgardians are aliens not gods. In itself, that's fine but I can't help but think that just made it more complicated not less. (Wonder Woman  just killed them off which is better but that's still a big nitpick from me about THAT movie...)

I stopped regularly reading comics  after I graduated college in the early part of the century so I don't know when secret identities became passé but I think this also hurt the franchise. Originally, instead of dropping Thor on his head and giving him amnesia, Odin put him the mortal body of Donald Blake and then Eric Masterson. (Was that a complaint about Ghost Rider? Same concept really...)

In Thor: Ragnarok, to me, this '90's era of the comic where Eric Masterson WAS Thor was the best run of the comic and there were many Easter eggs from that period from Thor's Earth garb (with Mjolnir disguised as an umbrell…

Wasn't A Complete Punishment

Checking my Facebook Memories this morning, it is apparently the anniversary of my review of Jessica Jones.  In many reviews of  The Punisher Jessica Jones  is the pinnacle all other Marvel Netflix (or in some cases, Marvel shows on any network but that's a post for another time...) must be held to. I'll tell you straight out, I personally enjoyed both seasons of  Daredevil  more so... (Hell,  The Punisher  had a less annoying support cast...)

For reasons I didn't consider back then and don't care about now, comic books in the '90's saw the creation of more violent  characters to presumably dispel the notion comics weren't just for kids. Ironman, Thor, Captain America and, perhaps ironically, Batman got more gritty counterparts and the Punisher (and Deadpool) was created. Like most superheroes, Frank Castle's origins begin with the death of a family member; in his case, ALL OF THEM. In comics, it was due to be caught in the crossfire of a mob shootout…

Setup Complete

When I wrote my blog post on the previous Netflix series, Luke Cage, I noted it was only about 90% as dark as Daredevil  and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist  is only about 90% as dark as that series.While that does make me question the Mature rating, I have no problem with that.

I feel in the mood to structure at least the beginning of this review on my feelings on complaints I've heard

1. The acting and writing: I'm sure my bar is lower than others but I feel people who feel the strongest about this have never watched movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. (Oddly, I read a comment on Twitter from a complainer that he had higher hopes for Cloak and Dagger on Freeform than  Inhumans on ABC. Special effects budget, sure but writing and acting? I think that's an iffy wager at best but I digress.)

Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are great as Danny Rand and Colleen Wing. Danny to me is just as a 25 year old man who spent 15 years cut off from the world as he knew it in a monastery (think ster…